Subject: Re: 060 speeds
From: [email-masked] (John Ferrel)
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 19:13:02 -0500

> <[email-masked]> writes:
>> I've read that if Lightwave were compiled on a 060-specific compiler it
>> would run faster (on a 060). Does anyone know:

Straight from the 68K newsgroup:
The '060 is designed as an upgrade from a '040 with 2.5 to 3.5 times the
performance of
the 25 mhz '040.  It uses Superscalar pipelined architecture which means it
can perform more than one instruction at a time.  The 68060 allows
simultaneous execution of two integer instructions (or 1 integer and 1 float
instruction) and one branch during each clock cycle.  A branch cache allows
most branches to execute in zero cycles.  This CPU has some RISC processor
features.  The chip is all hardwired - there is no microcode in it.  It
incorporates a JTAG interface to help simplify the debugging process.

The on-board caches have been increased to 8 Kbytes each and the '060 has
2.5 million transistors on the single die.  ... The '060 offers 100 MIPS @
66mhz and 250 million operations per second @ 50mhz.  SPECint = 50 @ 50Mhz.

I would think that code could be optimized for this architecture more than
for the '040.

John  
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
John Ferrel         [email-masked]
Rm# 259
University of Missouri Research Reactor
Reactor Park
Columbia, MO 65211
(314) 882-5248 or 5338 Work
(314) 443-0077         Home

A4000/Toaster4000/PAR/TBCIV  PAID-animator-want-to-be